Sunday, August 8, 2010

Laguna Beach Art Walk


To be an artist in So. California,  20 minutes from Laguna Beach,  there's no excuse not to ever have attended the First Thursday of the Month Artwalk.  That was me until this week when my friend called me to go.  All the galleries in Laguna Beach keep their doors open till 9 p.m. and people make a night of strolling from gallery to gallery looking at art, drinking wine.


There were artists painting demos and musicians playing instrumental guitar.  Unfortunately, we talked too much at dinner, got there late, and had only an hour left of strolling.



One artist that caught my eye was Marianne Kolb, She had a series of mostly single figure dancers.  The art  looked like it had a polyurethane finish.  They were so glossy and slick.  I had never seen anything like it before. It is art that needs to be seen in person, because it doesn't read as well on the internet.

I have to say, it is good to see what other artists are doing. Taking baby steps out of my comfort zone. There are so many more galleries we didn't see....perhaps next month.  Any joiners?

5 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

We have a similar artwalk, but only twice a year. However, there are Open Studio weekends twice a year that are quite popular. I like those a lot, although so far I've only touched the tip of the iceberg (so to say).

jacqueline said...

Laguna beach art walk sounds like a wonderful place to be. We don't have anything like this here in Malaysia. It's always so inspiring to find new artists and work! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like that in my area. I really wished I lived close by.

Suzanne said...

I've seen the art that is glossy and thick at art shows a few times now. It must be a trend. It gives the look of a thickly varnished table in a restaurant. And you just have to touch it to see how smooth it is.

Anonymous said...

Diana...

I just found your blog. Your art is super and your coverage of the Art Walk is first class.

As a local I love the walks, always a great night. I know it's a wonderful vacationer experience, too.

Love your site.

Charles Roe
www.LuxuryResortHomes.com