Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Show Off"







"Show Off", 6" x  6", oil on mixed media, Sold


I painted this butterfly in oils over a background of many layers of paper and acrylic.  As bright as acrylic is, the oil is so much more beautiful and bright.  I've used this frame to see how striking this piece could look in a black frame.


I finally realize why I love this style so...my dad was a housepainter and I saw this background many places as a child....dropcloths, old work shoes, paint pots, old wood...ahhhh the memories of childhood making its way back into my heart.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I love this background and it is very striking with the butterfly! :-)

Crystal Cook said...

Oh that is gorgeous! :)

Cindy said...

I do like this, and in its frame - oh my, that thick frame just sets it off!

Terri Smith said...

Gosh Diane, Your Butterfly Is Gorgeous! Those Colors Just Pop Against The Background And The Black Frame Is Perfection! Hey ~ In Answer To Your Question, My Recent Assemblage Isn't An Old Clock But Pieces I Joined Together. The Top Piece Came Off The Header Of An Old Bed, The Bottom Is A Dove-Tailed Box That Once Housed Sewing Machine Parts. Sending You Some Love & Georgia Sunshine This Glorious Sunday, Terri

Kat Sloma said...

It is gorgeous Diana - love it in that black frame! How cool that the style has a connection with your childhood. This style is really working for you.