Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Plein Air Painting

I came across the website of fine artist, Tom Brown, who I happily discovered teaches at an Art Center very close to me.  Although the workshop is not in session until after the holidays, I joined his group this past weekend in Laguna Beach for a 3 hour plein air session. 

Hotel Laguna, (Tom Brown)

We set up in the shade on the main beach smack in the middle of all the action.  This was Tom's first painting of four that he did during our session.  He was demonstrating painting in impasto style.  When painting the final layer of paint, he painted each stroke very thickly and didn't mess with it again.

Palm Tree, (Tom Brown)



Tom painted this palm tree in 15 minutes.  It was fun to watch him paint and I tried learn from his movements as he painted.  He was constantly sharing experiences and tips with us newbies.





It was a beautiful morning, and there were so many people there, it was like a summer day.  I was trying to paint the tower through all these people.  I never did finish it.


Hotel Laguna, my painting impasto style



Detail
The night before I researched what supplies I needed, but forgot about getting 2 wet paintings back to the car with my hands full of supplies.  Luckily, another resourceful artist taped my paintings to the outside my paint box and I could carry them back easily.  Tom showed me a couple of boxes he made to carry wet paintings in..so if I go again, I'll be more prepared.  It was a pleasant experience, even though it felt like the first day of school.  Gosh, I have got to start a list of first time experiences...it's growing everyday.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Oh.....very very envious!! And Laguna Beach!--I would love this!